Take that NSW!

Ohhhh Queensland. How I love you.
maroons high five rotator
They can count to five! Notice how Alfie is ready to run on again if needed. He's secretly got an Origin jersey under his trainer's yellow. Source: Courier Mail
I knew that the Queensland Origin team was good, but not THAT good. NSW may not have turned up to this match (thank you, Andrew Johns), but QLD played as if they were playing the best in the world.

G and I had a bet to guess who would be man of the match because there were so many awesome players in the squad (for the record, I picked either Dave Shillington or Sam Thaiday; G picked Israel Folau or Greg Inglis). I was amazed at how many line breaks there were (6 for Queensland; 2 for New South Wales) - Queensland made a mockery of New South Wales.

Israel Folau takes a high ball
Source: Courier Mail
I think the Greater Western Sydney AFL admins would be rubbing their hands in glee after Israel Folau's performance last night. As if they're not thinking about how many marks he'll make with his awesome jumping ability.

One thing I was incredibly annoyed at was the refereeing. What on earth was happening with that?!?!? No one was onside, there were high tackles galore, and then there was that infamous "attempted" headbutt from Luke O'Donnell. Only 2 people on report....and not for the headbutt! Apparently there are different rules for NSW players - Jarryd Hayne can headbutt Billy Slater, just like Luke O'Donnell can headbutt Dave Taylor whilst Joel Monaghan holds him back. I'll be interested to see if Luke O'Donnell is allowed to play for NSW in Origin 3. It was quite funny though - I'm sure D.T. was taunting him. Luckily Sam Thaiday made him pay in the right way.....by pushing him into the grass in a tackle.

Queensland also made NSW pay for the racist comments made by Andrew Johns (and I suspect by a few other NSW coaches/trainers/players). How better to demonstrate how wrong Joey is.....by Inglis, Folau and Tonga scoring try after try. Did anyone else notice that White seemed to say sorry to Inglis at the end? Good on him if he did. As much as I dislike Timana Tahu, he did the right thing by bringing the racism to light. I don't think he did it in the right way - he let his NSW teammates down by walking out on them, and now he hasn't come back to training for the Eels. I don't blame him though - Andrew Johns works with the Eels. I wouldn't want to work with someone like that, either. However, the NRL is in such disarray that maybe something like this has to happen before David Gallop gets off his cushy leather chair and actually does something.

3 lovely thoughts:

Donna said...

QUEENSLANDER!!!

I was so excited about last night's result that I couldn't sleep haha. Agree about the crappy refereeing, but it seems that Origin = crap refs for some reason.

Agree re Timana Tahu. I totally respect his decision but I just don't think that letting his team mates down by walking out on them was the right thing to do.

krystal said...

you know what - i am from nsw. its inbuilt into me that i have to hate qld at origin time. but last night i couldn't. i couldn't hate them cause they played so darn well.

Jo said...

Krystal, you hated saying that, didn't you? Next thing you know, NSW origin jerseys will turn up in the $2 shop.....
.
.
.


I couldn't help it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails