Veils - to have and to hold, or just annoying?

Has anyone else dealt with some kind of resistance from family members/friends/passers-by about their choices for their wedding? No? Well then you're one of the lucky ones!

I've discussed this with some of my married friends (Hi J and C, you know you can "follow" me, rather than stalking the blog? I kinda work out where you get the details from :) ). We've come to a consensus that the wedding planning process isn't complete without some kind of resistance from someone.

The biggest resistance I've come across has been about my choice of veil, that is, no veil.

"But it's not a wedding without a veil!"

"When will you get to wear a veil if you don't wear it for your wedding?"

"But your veil will be an heirloom one day!"

etc etc etc.

I decided it wasn't worth the fight on this one, and gave in. And when I say caved, I fell hook, line, and sinker into the wonderful world of veils.

Who knew there weren't just the plain, poofy ones? Probably a lot of people, but I didn't. I didn't even know that a headpiece or headband could be used INSTEAD of a veil, let alone with one. I've found there are five different things you can wear on your head.

Birdcage veils
EDITH BIRDCAGE VEIL  hp5043c birdcage veil, veil, russian veil, wedding, bridal hairpiece, crystal, pearl, white, ivory
Hello, beautiful. This is a gorgeous birdcage veil I had my eye on. (Source)

RESERVED FOR ISI- Lolita Ivory gardenia hair piece with detach veil
Ivory Blusher Birdcage Veil with Double Swarovski Rhinestone Edge with Detachable Ivory And Champagne Flower Fascinator
Deposit for Custom Bridal hairpieces birdcage
This one is stunning! (Source)

Traditional veils - to blusher, or not to blusher?
Sweet Pea - 90 inch Chapel Length veil with satin ribbon edge
Two Tier Fingertip Veil with Dangling Beads in White or Ivory
Double Layered Chaple Veil (U.S. Shipping Free) - clean edge veil, bridal veil, white veil, ivory veil, champagne veil
34 Inch Caspian Veil with a Blusher

Mantilla veils
SALE Couture Mantilla Wedding Veil 49X49 - Fingertip Length
Mantilla bridal wedding veil alencon lace white fingertip
Silk Tulle Mantilla

Headband - anyone who knows me would say I've cornered the market on these!
Bridal Beaded and Rhinestone Wedding, Engagement Party, Headband, Veil VIOLA
Russian Veil Feather Headband
That's a headband and birdcage in one! What's not to love?? (Source)
Rhinestone Sash or Headband
I want this one just for everyday wear. Stunning! (Source)
Ivanka- Feather and lace headband
Very flapper-ish. (Source)
Ohhh Jennifer Behr. If only I could afford you! (Source)
More Jennifer Behr. (Source)
Another Jennifer Behr. (Source) Ps: thanks to Keschey from the Vogue forums who turned me onto Jennifer Behr.

Flowers/hair clips:
ULTRA ELEGANT WHITE REALTOUCH GARDENIA  HAIR CLIP
Real touch gardenia. (Source)
SALE Silk Gardenia or Rose Wedding Hairclip Fascinator
White Feather Fascinator with Rhinestone Jewel - Bridal Comb or Hair Clip
Yep, you guessed it, it's Jennifer Behr. (Source)
Vintage Inspired Rhinestone Hair Comb
Vintage Inspired Art Deco Style Rhinestone Hair Comb

Can you tell I spend a little too much time on Etsy?

So what am I having? Well I decided on:
SALE Couture Mantilla Wedding Veil 49X49 - Fingertip Length
and
SALE Silk Gardenia or Rose Wedding Hairclip Fascinator

What do you think? Think it will go with my dress (had to put a link because G is being sneaky and snooping around. Say hi to G, everyone. No peeking, G!).

What are you guys having for your wedding? Veil, or no veil?

3 lovely thoughts:

Donna said...

"it's not a wedding without a veil"

This is exactly what my mother said to me when I was trying on my dress and said I didn't want to wear a veil. I'm a little ashamed to say we had an argument in the bridal store about it, thankfully, my BMs were on my side and didn't think that a veil was very "me".

I'm going for a flower of some sort for my hair :)

Jo said...

Oh yeah, I had the melt down in Elizabeth de Varga's. In fact, there may have been foot stomping (not by me).

Mothers.....can't live with them....no, that's all.

Seriously, I just gave in on the veil thing. I'm only wearing it for the ceremony, but after seeing Shoesammie's photos on the forums, I want the flying veil shot (but won't tell my mother that).

Donna said...

haha that flying veil shot would be the only reason I'd wear one (but only for the photo) ;p

Related Posts with Thumbnails