With or without you...

So I had one of those moments yesterday where you realise how old you actually are, not how old you feel. I was posing a question to my young students (they're 9 - 10), asking them what they couldn't live without. We were working on a unit about what you need to survive, and I was testing to see what they already knew. I was expecting answers like food, water, shelter, and perhaps friends and family. What I got......MOBILE PHONES AND COMPUTERS!!!

I actually remember NOT having a mobile phone and computer. My family first got a computer when I was in primary school, probably around 1993. It was an old school Apple, with awesome games such as Apple Bowling and Space Invaders. We actually still had to write all our school assignments by hand (shock, horror!) I only started typing assignments up when I got to grade ten. My family was pretty cool then though, because we were the first ones to get the net. My dad is a lover of all technological things and wants to understand how EVERYTHING works. Most often than not this resulted in broken things when he took them apart and couldn't work out how they went back together. This time, however, we were lucky and he didn't take anything apart, resulting in copious amounts of time on the net for both my sister and I (anyone remember IRC? ICQ?)

I didn't get my own mobile phone until after I finished school in 1999. Before that, I had to use the "family" one which we were requested to use in emergencies when we went out at night. I'm pretty sure the privilege was abused...especially on my sister's part. I, on the other hand, was perfect and never used it (you guys believe that, right?)

I don't know about you but I could quite happily give up my mobile phone just to be incommunicado... Computers, on the other hand, could be a bit trickier as you wouldn't be able to read all my important thoughts!

It got me thinking though, about what technological advance I couldn't live without. It was a pretty easy question to answer though.........I couldn't live without my Nespresso Latissima coffee machine. Perfectly brewed coffee with perfectly frothed milk, and I don't have to do anything other than press a button. Easy for the technologically challenged like me.
Hello, beautiful!

Anyone for coffee?

What can't you live without?

0 lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails